Learn C Programming Step by Step – 2020
History Of C
- C is a general-purpose language which has been closely associated with the UNIX operating System.
- In 1972 Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs writes “C” and in 1978 the publication of The C Programming Language was done by Kernighan & Ritchie.
- A C program is made by running a compiler which takes the typed source program and converts it into an object file that the computer can execute.
- A two-phase compiler works in the following way:
- Phase 1 scans a source program, generates an intermediate code which helps to simplify the grammar of the language for subsequent processing. It then converts the intermediate code into a file of object code. A separate object file is built for each separate source file.
- Phase 2 is a Linker. This program appends standard library code to the object file so that the code is complete and can “stand alone”.
Uses of C
- C language is used for creating computer applications.
- Used in writing Embedded software’s.
- Firmware for various electronics, industrial and communications products which use micro-controllers.
- It is also used in developing verification software, test code, simulators etc. for various applications and hardware products.
- For Creating Compiles of different Languages which can take input from other language and convert it into lower level machine dependent language.
- C is used to implement different Operating System Operations.
figure: Structure of C program.